Monday, February 20, 2012

And Lots More Knitting...

I'm proud of myself today. I worked on most of today's to-do list. However, I've quickly run out of time to complete the list. On the upside, I had today weighted heavily compared to the rest of the week, so hopefully tomorrow I can catch up.

I've made one shawl before, and there's something magical about them. For example, here's where my Malabrigo Lace shawl is now:



I'm to the point where I can't wait to finish it, because I can't wait to block it and see the pattern. It's at 68% completion, there are actually only 33 rows left before binding off. Of course with triangular shawls, you start with very few stitches and work your way out, so every 4 rows this shawl gets wider and wider. Unlike items knit with heavier yarn, you really can't "see" the pattern before you block it out. It's like taking a tangled mess of yarn, waving a magic wand, and transforming it into a beautiful work of art.

I had this magical lesson just over a year ago when I finished the Echo Flower Shawl. It's my go-to winter scarf. I need to re-block it, as it's had a good amount of wear, but I just love the lightweight baby alpaca.

I also worked on my half-square triangle quilt. Of 644 initial squares, I have 50 finished. I've chain-pieced a bunch of the initial squares, but then there's cutting, pressing, trimming, seaming, pressing, seaming, pressing, trimming on each one. I can finish about 12 squares a hour. It's going to be a long road. I'm very excited about this one, though. I have the feeling it will remind me of the "Babymaker" quilt from the movie, The Proposal.

Anyways, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment